Tuesday, May 22, 2012

First Steps as a U.S. Citizen: Part I

Apply for a U.S. Passport

Now that you are a U.S. citizen, you can apply for a U.S. passport from the U.S. Department of State. You will need to submit your original Form N-550, Certificate of Naturalization, when applying for your U.S. passport. You may also apply for a U.S. passport for any children under the age of 18 who automatically acquired citizenship based on your naturalization.

Update Your Social Security Record

You will need to visit Social Security so they can update your Social Security record. Wait at least 10 days after your ceremony before doing so and be prepared to show them your Certificate of Naturalization or your U.S. passport. It is important that your Social Security record is accurate because you will need your Social Security Number (SSN) to

get a job, collect Social Security benefits, and receive other government services. When you are hired for a job, your employer can enter your SSN into a Department of Homeland Security Internet program, E-Verify, to determine your eligibility to work in the United States. If your record has not been updated, this may impact your work eligibility.

Register to Vote

As a new U.S. citizen, you may register to vote. You can register to vote by applying in person, by mail, at public assistance offices, or when you apply for or renew your driver’s license.

No comments: