Monday, February 20, 2012

Green Card for an Asylee: Part II

Family Members of Asylees

The USCIS asylum program accepts new Form I-589 applications from derivative asylees (spouses or children of a principal asylee) who no longer meet the definition of a spouse or child of the principal asylee in order to provide such individuals with a way to become a permanent resident

Note: In certain cases, the Child Status Protection Act (CSPA) may allow you to retain the classification of “child” even if you have reached age 21.

Family Application Process

You must prepare a separate Form I-485 application packet for yourself (the principal asylee) and for your spouse and each child who received derivative asylee status if they also want to obtain a green card.

You may submit several different application packages in the same mailing package. To hold each application packet together, please use a single staple or a paper clip.

Change of Address

If your address changes, you must inform USCIS in writing within 10 days of moving.

You may meet this requirement by:

*               Mailing Form AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card, to the address on the form

*               Completing “Step 1” of the Online “Change My Address” Form

You should NOT mail the AR-11 to the correct address AND complete an online change of address.

While your asylum application is pending with the Asylum Office, you must ALSO notify the Asylum Office within 10 days after you change your address in one of the following ways:

*               Complete “Step 2” of the online form

*               Mail an original or copy of Form AR-11 to the Asylum Office

*               Mail a letter with your old and new address information to the Asylum Office

*               Provide your new address to the Asylum Office in-person

*               Provide your new address to the asylum officer at your interview, or call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283

No comments: