Friday, November 20, 2009

Lawrence H. Summers on Women in Science & Engineering Workforce

"There are three broad hypotheses about the sources of the very substantial disparities that this conference's papers document and have been documented before with respect to the presence of women in high-end scientific professions. One is what I would call the-I'll explain each of these in a few moments and comment on how important I think they are-the first is what I call the high-powered job hypothesis. The second is what I would call different availability of aptitude at the high end, and the third is what I would call different socialization and patterns of discrimination in a search. And in my own view, their importance probably ranks in exactly the order that I just described."

Lawrence H. Summers
Cambridge, Mass.
January 14, 2005

To read more continue reading http://www.president.harvard.edu/speeches/summers_2005/nber.php

No comments: