Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Office of Visa Services - Consular Processing Questions

Who We Are - Office of Visa Services

The Office of Visa Services, in the Consular Affairs Bureau, Department of State provides several functions:

• We serve as liaisons with the Department of Homeland Security
• We serve as liaisons between the Department of State and embassies and consulates abroad on visa matters
• We interpret visa laws and regulations, and act as a point of contact for the public

When to Contact Us vs. Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
Defining the different roles and responsibilities of the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of State can be confusing. We hope this information will assist you:

Contact the Department of State, an embassy or consulate abroad with questions about U.S. visas, including application, the status of visa processing, and for inquiries relating to visa denial.

Visa Services, Public Inquiries can usually explain what aspects of immigration law and regulation are applicable in certain cases, and can also check the current status of a particular case, if processing has been delayed.

Department of Homeland Security is responsible for the approval of all immigrant and nonimmigrant petitions, the authorization of permission to work in the U.S. , the issuance of extensions of stay, and change or adjustment of an applicant's status while the applicant is in the U.S.

Questions about these matters should be referred to the US CIS district office having jurisdiction over the applicant's present or future place of domicile in the United States.

How to Contact Us - Office of Visa Services

Visa Information and Assistance - The recommended first source of information regarding visa matters is our internet site at http://travel.state.gov . For overview visa information see Destination USA .
Contact the Department of State, an embassy or consulate first with inquiries through the Internet at http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/embassies/embassies_1214.html.
Contacting Visa Services - Information is available to the public by telephone at the Visa Services, Public Inquiries Division at (202) 663-1225. The telephone number provides the caller with a selection of pre-recorded information and the ability to talk to a visa specialist during business hours. Persons desiring information about a specific visa applicant are advised that immigration law provides specific prohibitions about providing case specific information to third parties. Before calling with a visa inquiry, we request that you carefully review this website and also the Embassy Consular Website abroad. NOTE: When making a visa inquiry, Public Inquiries Division prefers that you contact us by telephone or e-mail. The Public Inquiries Division is not able to accept visa inquiries by Fax.
Important Telephone Numbers and E-mail Addresses
For inquiries about visa cases and the application process call: 202-663-1225.
To e-mail the Visa Office for general information, write us at usvisa@state.gov .

For inquiries by U.S. companies and organizations needing business (B-1) visitor visa information only, e-mail: businessvisa@state.gov or call: 202-663-3198.
For inquiries about F-1 or M-1 student visas, or about J-1 exchange visitor visas, please contact our Student/Exchange Visitor Visa Center at: fmjvisas@state.gov.

For information about pending applications for Waiver of Foreign Residence Requirement, applicants should see the online J waiver status .
To reach the National Visa Center (Immigrant visa inquiries) call: 603-334-0700 or e-mail: NVCINQUIRY@state.gov.
To reach the Kentucky Consular Center (Diversity Visa inquiries) call : 606-526-7500

No comments: